Heyy! I’m back with another book review! After this book review, I should be done with them for a little while (how many times have I said that though 🤔🤷). I’m looking forward to updating y’all on what’s been up lately and share some of my latest thoughts and revelations and what God’s been doing in our hearts and lives!
Also, yay for Chosen Books sending me this book free of charge in exchange for a review!
Fire! is James Levesque’s latest work, all about how the Holy Spirit is going to move and is moving in people’s hearts right now, as well as how to prepare for the next Great Awakening. Mr. Levesque gives us a collection of twelve principles throughout the book on how to prepare ourselves for Holy Spirit’s move in our hearts. While I enjoyed this book, there are some drawbacks–why don’t we dive into both the positive and negative qualities now?
The Things I Liked
- Repentance is highlighted throughout this book, which I value greatly. We have come to a point in today’s church culture where “repentance” is a bad word, but it is at the core of our conversion!
- I love the emphasis on the Great Commission!!
- This guy is not ashamed of the move of the Spirit and of the gifts of the Spirit, which I think is great.
- The last part of the book ministered to me the most, with shorter, more concise and clear chapters as well as unabated fire. Oh, and testimonies!
The Things I Didn’t Like
- The writing style was scattered and almost rambly for me, so, while there was a lot of truth phrased pretty simply, I found it almost hard to read. As I said before, this mostly went away during the last few chapters.
- There is a whole chapter about dreaming, and I felt the author used the word dream out of context, citing Scripture about Joseph’s dreams when discussing our dreams as in goals for life. But I totally get where he was coming from–God gives us all dreams/callings, and sometimes He shows us those through nighttime dreams and sometimes He doesn’t.
Note to Parents
According to my notes, there’s basically nothing that could be questionable for kiddos in this book, so yay! The writing style may not be ideal for kids, but of course that changes for every child.
There are some beautiful nuggets of truth in this book, so if you are interested I would totally recommend purchasing it! *realizes that was a really short summary but can’t think of anything else to say*
How to Purchase
If you’d like to support the author’s ministry, check out his ministry’s store, where, at least at the time of writing, you can pre-order an autographed copy for around 13 dollars. You can also order at the publisher’s website, where you may save a couple dollars. I would also recommend checking out Amazon, ThriftBooks, and others if you are interested in purchasing for a bit cheaper.
I’d love to hear from you! Please feel free to just drop a hello in the comments below and connect. Have you read a book from this author before? Do you have a suggestion for a book you’d like me to review? Would you like to read a post on what God has been doing in our lives lately?
Many blessings and much love,